Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question LuminariMUD 1.0

More
29 Jan 2013 12:08 - 29 Jan 2013 12:10 #1423 by zusuk
LuminariMUD 1.0 was created by zusuk
The codebase I am working on has always been planned to be released to the public, the goal is to release LuminariMUD 1.0 Beta (which is just a modified TBA to d20 rules) to the public by March this year.

If the codebase/project interets anyone, I keep fairly thorough changelogs at our website (listed in my signature).

Primary goals to the codebase is to keep it stable, well-documented, and parallel with changes made to the tbaMUD codebase.

Also it is a goal to have this replace CWG since we have the advantage of community and a constantly developed core codebase, that being said if Luminari is missing any functionality of CWG, please let me know.

Eventually I also want the codebase to incorperate Gicker's d20 codebase to unify all 3 projects.

Finally, we are always lookin for builders and play-testers, so stop on by!

Website
www.luminariMUD.com

Main Game Port
luminariMUD.com:4100
Last edit: 29 Jan 2013 12:10 by zusuk. Reason: typos

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Mar 2013 10:29 #1572 by zusuk
Replied by zusuk on topic LuminariMUD 1.0
Update that we are hoping to get our "early beta code release" out by the 22nd of this month.

I was hoping for earlier, but a lot of RL interruptions has modified the time-table.

Website
www.luminariMUD.com

Main Game Port

More
09 Mar 2013 00:30 #1589 by Aureolin
Replied by Aureolin on topic LuminariMUD 1.0
Hi there, excited to see a codebase based off of the d20 system :)

Was curious if your code base could be used to supplement a d20 tabletop game?

Rather than using IRC rooms and forums I was hoping I could use MUDs to create an immersive environment for my group, a place for them to hang out during downtime between missions/campaigns, and also a place where we could operate our games from. I will however be using the d20 modern corebook and a custom game that uses it as it's cornerstone so I'm curious if it will work.

Some questions I have.
-Does your codebase feature a dice roll script as a command? such as (roll intimidate)
-Is it okay if I modify the code to match the game style we will be playing?
-If so how, using the rules from the book would it be easy to implement skills/spells?
-I probably don't want people grinding like you would typically in a mud, focusing on roleplay and progression through organized missions. Is it possible to freeze regeneration manually add damage and modifiers, and have the score sheet represent stats like they do on a character sheet?

More
11 Mar 2013 10:33 #1594 by zusuk
Replied by zusuk on topic LuminariMUD 1.0
Hey Aureolin:

It is actually a great idea to use a MUD to supplement tabletop gaming.

To answer your questions:

Our codebase does not have diceroll script implemented, although it would be -extremely- easy to do so. Maybe if time allows before Beta or shortly after we can cook one up to help you out.

The code we are releasing is completely open, your only limitations is whatever license restrictions Circle/DIKU have (which are basically, don't make money off selling in-game perks).

Implementing DnD spells and skill straight from the book has various degrees of difficulty and some issues with translation. For example, spells that last durations of rounds, is not playable unless your change your round-duration to a long period. So you have to add some time to those spells. There is a lot of give and take, a straight translation does not work well (I have tested it). If you made combat turn-based, that might be another story. With our codebase, we are strongly influenced by the D20/DnD3.5 system, but we expanded and/or cut corners as we felt was fitting.

As far as changing the combat system/regeneration/etc to match DnD more accurately (your last question) - basically anything is possible in the code, if you have someone who is willing to code it. I think it is important to emphasize the fact that even with a stock TBA codebase, you could set it up with scripts and autoquest that you do virtually NO killing and tell expansive stories and quest lines and still have advancement. Detta of tbaMUD created an awesome zone called 'Dollhouse' which has very little combat, but tells a great story with awesome scripting and rewards the players generously for completing the puzzles/story.

Thanks for your interest, let me know if you have any other questions!

Website
www.luminariMUD.com

Main Game Port

More
11 Mar 2013 17:38 #1595 by Rumble
Replied by Rumble on topic LuminariMUD 1.0
Feel free to post what dice roll triggers you might want and I'm sure someone could whip up a simple trigger to cover everything you need. Probably a simple command trigger like "roll 3 d 5" would be all that is required.

Rumble
The Builder Academy
tbamud.com 9091
rumble@tbamud.com

More
13 Mar 2013 18:31 #1602 by bakarus
Replied by bakarus on topic LuminariMUD 1.0
if you are looking more for visual aid/tools try roll20.net they have a sharable tabletop with all the features you mentioned.

Time to create page: 0.203 seconds