Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question Game crashing

More
08 Apr 2023 12:38 - 08 Apr 2023 12:39 #10302 by Nero
Game crashing was created by Nero
For some reason this week I am having issues with the MUD consistently crashing.
I ran game in debug mode and when it crashed again this was the result (attached screenshot)

The only real issue I could find was in db.c I did not have the  if (ch->player_specials) check for  free(ch->player_specials);
Would that be the reason why its crashing? It's the only thing I can was missing.
I corrected it and game seems to be running smooth so far for the last few hours but wanted to make sure I am reading the results of this correct and not missing anything else.
Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Apr 2023 12:39 by Nero.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Apr 2023 21:08 #10303 by thomas
Replied by thomas on topic Game crashing
Yes, this is highly likely to be the problem. Mobs, for instance, don't have a player_specials structure (it is NULL) and if you free() i anyway, you will be calling free(NULL) which is a segfault.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nero

More
11 Apr 2023 04:36 #10305 by Nero
Replied by Nero on topic Game crashing
I am not sure why but the game is still crashing. Here is a full screenshot of backtrace

Attachments:

More
11 Apr 2023 20:52 #10309 by thomas
Replied by thomas on topic Game crashing
Ok, I've tried doing this exact thing on a new copy of tba and it does not crash for me - but then again, the code does not look like yours:
Code:
oid free_char(struct char_data *ch) { int i; struct alias_data *a; if (ch->player_specials != NULL && ch->player_specials != &dummy_mob) { while ((a = GET_ALIASES(ch)) != NULL) { GET_ALIASES(ch) = (GET_ALIASES(ch))->next; free_alias(a); } if (ch->player_specials->poofin) free(ch->player_specials->poofin); if (ch->player_specials->poofout) free(ch->player_specials->poofout); if (ch->player_specials->saved.completed_quests) free(ch->player_specials->saved.completed_quests); if (GET_HOST(ch)) free(GET_HOST(ch)); if (IS_NPC(ch)) log("SYSERR: Mob %s (#%d) had player_specials allocated!", GET_NAME(ch), GET_MOB_VNUM(ch)); }
As you see, base tba does not try to free the player_specials struct.
If you insist on doing that, at least add
Code:
ch->player_specials = NULL;
after freeing it.

More
12 Apr 2023 00:28 #10310 by Nero
I think I have it hopefully
comparing mine to TBA code it actually looks like if (ch->player_specials)
free(ch->player_specials);

is pushed down below if (!IS_NPC(ch) || (IS_NPC(ch) && GET_MOB_RNUM(ch) == NOBODY)) {
so far today it seems to be running smooth with no crashes and no errors popping up in debug mode like it was before. Fingers crossed.

More
26 Apr 2023 10:45 #10322 by Nero
Hi Thomas,

For some reason I am still continuing to have issues with the game crashing
I dug deeper into GDB but I still can't make heads or tails of what the actual issue is.
It continues to act like there is an error in db.c specifically with the free_char

The attached screenshot seems to reference a character that doesn't exist in a room that also does not exist in the game.

You mentioned making the specials = NULL?
So should I just remove the if check and replace it with that?
Code:
/* release memory allocated for a char struct */ void free_char(struct char_data *ch) {   int i;   struct alias_data *a;   if (ch->player_specials != NULL && ch->player_specials != &dummy_mob) {     while ((a = GET_ALIASES(ch)) != NULL) {       GET_ALIASES(ch) = (GET_ALIASES(ch))->next;       free_alias(a);     }     if (ch->player_specials->poofin)       free(ch->player_specials->poofin);     if (ch->player_specials->poofout)       free(ch->player_specials->poofout);     if (ch->player_specials->saved.completed_quests)       free(ch->player_specials->saved.completed_quests);     if (GET_HOST(ch))       free(GET_HOST(ch));     if (IS_NPC(ch))       log("SYSERR: Mob %s (#%d) had player_specials allocated!", GET_NAME(ch), GET_MOB_VNUM(ch));   }   if (!IS_NPC(ch) || (IS_NPC(ch) && GET_MOB_RNUM(ch) == NOBODY)) {     /* if this is a player, or a non-prototyped non-player, free all */     if (GET_NAME(ch))       free(GET_NAME(ch));     if (ch->player.title)       free(ch->player.title);     if (ch->player.short_descr)       free(ch->player.short_descr);     if (ch->player.long_descr)       free(ch->player.long_descr);     if (ch->player.description)       free(ch->player.description);     if (ch->player_specials)       free(ch->player_specials);            /* free script proto list */     free_proto_script(ch, MOB_TRIGGER);   } else if ((i = GET_MOB_RNUM(ch)) != NOBODY) {     /* otherwise, free strings only if the string is not pointing at proto */     if (ch->player.name && ch->player.name != mob_proto[i].player.name)       free(ch->player.name);     if (ch->player.title && ch->player.title != mob_proto[i].player.title)       free(ch->player.title);     if (ch->player.short_descr && ch->player.short_descr != mob_proto[i].player.short_descr)       free(ch->player.short_descr);     if (ch->player.long_descr && ch->player.long_descr != mob_proto[i].player.long_descr)       free(ch->player.long_descr);     if (ch->player.description && ch->player.description != mob_proto[i].player.description)       free(ch->player.description);     /* free script proto list if it's not the prototype */     if (ch->proto_script && ch->proto_script != mob_proto[i].proto_script)       free_proto_script(ch, MOB_TRIGGER);   }   while (ch->affected)     affect_remove(ch, ch->affected);   /* free any assigned scripts */   if (SCRIPT(ch))     extract_script(ch, MOB_TRIGGER);   /* new version of free_followers take the followers pointer as arg */   free_followers(ch->followers);   if (ch->desc)     ch->desc->character = NULL;   /* find_char helper */   /*   * when free_char is called with a blank character struct, ID is set   * to 0, and has not yet been added to the lookup table.   */   if (GET_ID(ch) != 0)     remove_from_lookup_table(GET_ID(ch));   free(ch); }

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.211 seconds