Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question Very Newbie technical question about server

More
29 Jun 2021 10:40 #9884 by Slt918
Guys, its been a while but I want to get a handle on this system and do things. Im running win10 and compiling using cygwin. I can localhost all day long but I need remote connections! So my assumption is to use my public ip and port 4000 set as default port to connect. I gave proper firewall permission (I think) but host is not there according to telnet. Is there something I need to install on windows and or cygwin to make this work? This was never covered in the docs. I hope this place isnt abandoned the room listing is gigantic and you guys have put a lot of work in. Thanks so much in advance,
Steven Tate

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jun 2021 15:35 #9885 by thomas
It is highly likely this is due to you missing the necessary routing to reach your machine from the internet. This is done via "port forwarding" and is slightly different on different routers (so it's hard for us to guide you).

More
29 Jun 2021 22:18 #9886 by Slt918
Many thanks for putting me on the right path!

More
03 Jul 2021 06:11 #9887 by Rumble
This is a common issue and since I move every 2-3 years I've found that googling port forwarding for your specific ISP helps. For example Cox used to block most typical MUD ports so I forwarded it through 8080 (alt IP). Different ISPs have different policies. It may even be somewhere in your contract about what you can and can't forward.

Rumble
The Builder Academy
tbamud.com 9091
rumble@tbamud.com

Time to create page: 0.198 seconds