Question Help with pets?

• hypoon
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
24 Aug 2020 19:44 - 24 Aug 2020 19:51 #8933 by hypoon
Help with pets? was created by hypoon
Hello all,

I'm new to MUDs and recently started my own instance of tbaMUD. Before making my own customizations, I wanted to understand what features have already been implemented, and how they work. I've been exploring the world as a mortal for the past few days, and I have a few questions. To start, I'm losing my pet every time I leave the MUD. Is this the intended behavior? Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to reacquire the pet when I return to the MUD?

Thanks!
Last edit: 24 Aug 2020 19:51 by hypoon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Aug 2020 19:51 - 24 Aug 2020 19:52 #8934 by Opie
Replied by Opie on topic Help with pets?
This is indeed intended behavior. You’ll have to buy a new pet every time.

Pets do not save when you leave the game, I’m afraid. I have seen MUDs in the past changing this, but make pets far more expensive for this reason.

It would require some programming to do this, CircleMUD/tbaMUD does not do this by default.
Last edit: 24 Aug 2020 19:52 by Opie.

• hypoon
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
24 Aug 2020 20:06 #8935 by hypoon
Replied by hypoon on topic Help with pets?
I see, that is unfortunate. Perhaps that will be my first customization. Pets do not seem particularly useful in their current form, so either I'm being rather unimaginative, or this feature feels incomplete. Would tbaMUD welcome such a patch contribution, or is it preferred that such development be kept in separate codebases?

More
24 Aug 2020 20:11 #8936 by Opie
Replied by Opie on topic Help with pets?
You’re welcome to contribute, we can consider adding it to the base code.

I think the best way of doing it would be to potentially make it an option for the builder if a pet is saved upon log out or not. If it’s an easy option to toggle, then an admin can decide if they want this in-game or not. Or perhaps make more elaborate and expensive pets. Just an idea!

More
24 Aug 2020 20:11 - 24 Aug 2020 20:12 #8937 by Rumble
Replied by Rumble on topic Help with pets?
Another option is to use triggers, example below. It may not go into stock tbaMUD but I'm sure others would be interested in it here, please share and who knows if there is enough demand for it maybe it will be added down the road.
Code:
Name: 'Horse Petshop - 203', VNum: [ 338], RNum: [ 260] Trigger Intended Assignment: Mobiles Trigger Type: Command , Numeric Arg: 100, Arg list: * Commands: if %cmd.mudcommand% == list * %send% %actor% %send% %actor% ## Pet Cost %send% %actor% -------------------------------------------------------------- %send% %actor% 1) a horse 1500 %send% %actor% 2) a fine mare 1800 %send% %actor% 3) a stallion 3000 * elseif %cmd.mudcommand% == buy if %actor.gold% < 1500 tell %actor.name% You have no money, go beg somewhere else. halt * lets not allow them to have more than one pet to keep the game balanced. elseif %actor.follower% tell %actor.name% You already have someone following you. halt end if horse /= %arg% || %arg% == 1 set pet_name horse set pet_vnum 202 set pet_cost 1500 elseif fine /= %arg% || mare /= %arg% || %arg% == 2 set pet_name mare set pet_vnum 204 set pet_cost 1800 elseif stallion /= %arg% || %arg% == 3 set pet_name stallion set pet_vnum 205 set pet_cost 3000 else tell %actor.name% What? I don't have that. halt end * if %actor.gold% < %pet_cost% tell %actor.name% You don't have enough gold for that. else * Need to load the mob, have it follow the player AND set the affect * CHARM so the mob will follow the masters orders. %load% mob %pet_vnum% dg_affect %pet_name% charm on 999 emote opens the stable door and returns leading a horse by its reins. tell %actor.name% here you go. Treat'em well. %force% %pet_name% follow %actor.name% nop %actor.gold(-%pet_cost%)% end elseif %cmd.mudcommand% == sell tell %actor.name% Does it look like I buy things? else return 0 end

Rumble
The Builder Academy
tbamud.com 9091
rumble@tbamud.com
Last edit: 24 Aug 2020 20:12 by Rumble.

• hypoon
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
24 Aug 2020 20:37 #8938 by hypoon
Replied by hypoon on topic Help with pets?
I do need to familiarize myself with building using the tools that are already present. I'm an experienced coder, and when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Thank you for the information!

Time to create page: 0.202 seconds