Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question TbaMud license change

More
06 May 2021 18:07 #9857 by ironfist
Replied by ironfist on topic TbaMud license change
I don't know how DG scripts could be licensed unless they got permission from Weis and Hickman or whoever for the rights to the death gate cycle name (if that is trademarked)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 May 2021 20:15 #9858 by thomas
Replied by thomas on topic TbaMud license change
DG scripts isn't related to the Death Gate book cycle AT ALL. There's no mention of characters, places, setting or anything in the code. This is an example of overthinking it ;) While the setting in the actual mud they were originally developed for might be different, the script code has nothing to do with that setting.

Sharing a couple of letters in a title is not enough to make a claim of ownership or to have any say over distribution. Or I'd be a millionaire, since my last name has a couple of letters also found in Apple, inc.

And actually, that's one of the patches where we have been in touch with the author and gotten a positive response.

More
07 May 2021 15:04 #9859 by fungi
Replied by fungi on topic TbaMud license change
Also if the DGScripts patch did for some reason include content which infringed on copyrights for the Death Gate cycle, that would be a problem for any MUD incorporating it regardless of software license. Thankfully it does not.

Further, there seems to be some confusion over copyrights and trademarks. They are both a sort of intellectual property (as are patents), but are not otherwise related. Copyright licenses are quite a separate thing from trademark licenses.

Time to create page: 0.213 seconds