Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question HControl

More
14 Dec 2016 20:28 #6401 by thomas
Replied by thomas on topic HControl
Nope. houses are tracked seperately (apperently still in a binary format, actually) in a table called house_control and this table is managed with the hcontrol and house commands.

Only those elements are saved.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Dec 2016 01:39 #6404 by Liko
Replied by Liko on topic HControl

Halenbane wrote: Will simply adding the House flag to additional rooms attached to the original house allow storage in more than one room?

What I did was simply build more rooms attach to the house. I know it registered each room as house, but it did the deed.

Randian(0.0.0)
Owner/Developer

More
16 Dec 2016 04:34 #6405 by Halenbane
Replied by Halenbane on topic HControl
Yeah I did the same.

More
18 Dec 2016 20:20 - 18 Dec 2016 20:23 #6411 by DirtyDevil
Replied by DirtyDevil on topic HControl
Isnt 777 a little over kill?
Thats user, group and world read write and execute

Liko wrote: mkdir -m 777 plrvars
mkdir -m 777 house

My day job is *nix support and we had someone kill a server this week doing a "chmod -R 777 *" while in the root folder. Could not even login as root.

Too many devs pick the easy permissions but a simple slipup can kill the box and is a security risk.

In this case if someone had a shell on the same host as your mud they could edit the house files to create any object or a buffer overflow to hack the user files to make them an admin
Last edit: 18 Dec 2016 20:23 by DirtyDevil. Reason: correcting quotes

More
28 Jan 2017 14:29 #6551 by Parnassus
Replied by Parnassus on topic HControl
I'm wondering how all this affects my subdivisions. Could someone please load zones 653 and 654 and check them for saves? 654 was the original zone which uses houses made of a room and atrium. 653 was to check the questions: Can atria be shared? Are they really necessary for saving purposes? It's also (almost shameless plug) home to my elevator trigger that I love so much.

They saved for me when I wrote them but I'm wondering if now maybe they don't. You know how it is. Sometimes things work because you expect them to but won't work for people who use them in ways that seem normal to them but didn't occur to the person who wrote it.

Here is the discussion.

More
31 Jan 2017 03:12 #6559 by WhiskyTest
Replied by WhiskyTest on topic HControl
Parnassus I think it just means anyone using the current version (3.67) needs to manually create the lib\house directory before houses save items correctly.
Your subdivisions are there, but they won't have house data saved - but that is probably intended because the player files don't get included with the release.

That elevator trigger is very impressive by the way!

Time to create page: 0.214 seconds