Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question The Void versus Limbo

More
23 Feb 2015 02:07 #5234 by Banlock
Sorry if this is placed in the wrong area, I wasn't sure were this should go.

I've been looking through the code to see what rooms are referenced and I'm trying to determine how The Void (room 0) and Limbo (room 1) are used in the game and what are supposed to be the differences between the two.

Looking for "char_to_room(*, 0)" it looks like 0 is used to rescue linkless characters that are attacked, and (I think) housekeeping (keeping things from existing in no room?).

Looking for "char_to_room(*, 1)" it looks like 1 is used mainly as a destination for characters that are idle.

Does anyone know the history of The Void and Limbo and why we have both in the stock world files? Should the exits of both be the mortal start rooms (or near them)?

Thanks,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Feb 2015 01:11 #5235 by cosine_omerta
Replied by cosine_omerta on topic The Void versus Limbo
You've pretty much nailed it. Limbo was a place to put people who were idle, so that other folks didn't try to interact with them. They put Puff in there to be amusing. Originally he/she only said a few things, but now her trigger sayings are much varied, and hilarious. Used to be once you input a command you poofed back into the game, so exits weren't necessary as nobody would actually see the room. I think they were added as a fail-safe so folks wouldn't get stuck.

Same thing with the void. Initially the void was also just a default "Uh Oh" type room that would catch various problems. Slave to the symmetry of zero.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Banlock

More
06 Mar 2015 13:37 #5242 by cunning
Replied by cunning on topic The Void versus Limbo
Could not have said it better!

Time to create page: 0.178 seconds