Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question Out of Curiosity

More
14 Aug 2012 15:25 #670 by zusuk
Out of Curiosity was created by zusuk
Is there a post listing the limits of tba in cocerns to # of rooms, mobiles objects... stuff of that nature?

Someone was talking about having a mud with 4million room wilderness and I was curious what would need to be changed in stock code to accept those kind of numbers

Website
www.luminariMUD.com

Main Game Port
luminariMUD.com:4100

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Aug 2012 16:38 - 11 Jan 2013 02:39 #671 by Rumble
Replied by Rumble on topic Re: Out of Curiosity
World size is currently limited by the usage of an unsigned short integer which allows for 65,535 rooms/mobs/objs/etc.

You'd have to change the data type to go above that number. I've heard of people converting it to a long integer giving you billions.... but who would ever want to explore a 4 million room wilderness? Most builder's can not complete a 100 vnum zone. There have been a few discussions on this topic that are probably on the CircleMUD or CWG forums.

Rumble
The Builder Academy
tbamud.com 9091
rumble@tbamud.com
Last edit: 11 Jan 2013 02:39 by Rumble.

More
14 Aug 2012 17:29 #674 by Vatiken
Replied by Vatiken on topic Re: Out of Curiosity
TbaMUD actually uses an unsigned SHORT int for the world index which allows for amount of rooms/mobs/obj that rumblke listed. Changing it to an unsigned INT will give you 4.2 million possible vnums. There are significant changes required to go that route though as many ingame variables are of the INT type and would be incompatible with an unsigned int.

In my MUD I went with just a plain INT which allows for 2.1 million vnums which is more then enough. The only changes necessary were in structs.h, and a couple save/load functions that natively used unsigned short for vnums.

65535 rooms is more then enough for hand written rooms but when using an overhead map for a continent, a 100x100 area is a decent sprint for a player and it takes up 10,000 rooms. Upping the limit allows for multiple continents, and written zones without concern for the possibke limitation. Plus, it's easier to organize IMO.

tbaMUD developer/programmer
The following user(s) said Thank You: zusuk

More
15 Aug 2012 20:20 #681 by zusuk
Replied by zusuk on topic Re: Out of Curiosity
Thanks as usual Vatiken... I'm adding that to my ToDo list then.

Is your MUD open for scoping out? I'd love to check out what you've done with it so far.

Website
www.luminariMUD.com

Main Game Port
luminariMUD.com:4100

More
16 Aug 2012 00:09 #683 by Vatiken
Replied by Vatiken on topic Re: Out of Curiosity
Not open yet, but I'm hoping to open up shortly. I'll let you know if/when I do.

tbaMUD developer/programmer

More
16 Aug 2012 00:27 #685 by Gahan
Replied by Gahan on topic Re: Out of Curiosity
Just figured "What the heck." I'm going to try to do the unsigned int vnum structure to test the waters... I've noticed that the mud is freezing / crashing now all the time when a player loads...

#0 0x081a6a3f in load_skills (fl=0xa9c71d0, ch=0xa9c6160) at players.c:1227
1227 SET_SKILL(ch, num, num2);

i'm kind of curious as to what the issue would be.

Set skill is:
#define SET_SKILL(ch, i, lvl) { if ((ch)->char_specials.saved.skills) ((ch)->char_specials.saved.skills).level = lvl; }

Shouldn't matter that the vnum values have chagned...

Kind of perplexing.

Time to create page: 0.221 seconds