Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question IMC - Intermud Communication Network

More
17 Aug 2012 02:46 #694 by zusuk
I tried doing searches in the forums here, and kinda browsed around and didn't see any info.

I posted on mudbytes.net and I was suggested connecting to IMC. Does anyone have any info on this topic?

Website
www.luminariMUD.com

Main Game Port
luminariMUD.com:4100

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Aug 2012 03:56 #695 by Vatiken
Mudbytes Download
The above link leads to the IMC2 client download package, it contains instructions for a CircleMUD installation. I have installed it in tbaMUD before so I know the installation works.

Mudbytes IMC2 Log
The above log demonstrates the activity on IMC2 primary channels, which is next to nothing... no chat at all this month.

It does give you the option to send private messages to other mud admins connected to the network, which is kinda nifty.

As I said, I have installed it in the past, although I wouldn't go through the trouble again. It has been very well documented over on mudbytes that it isn't very well maintained, and aside from being nifty, I didn't end up getting much use of it. If I'm not mistaken, about 2-3 days in I just disabled it.

I have heard rumour though that the I3 intermud system is FAR superior, and grossly more active. Although you'd be hard pressed to gather any other information about it from me as I've never used it or seen it in action.

Off topic: If you're interested in having your MUD associated more closely with other MUDs, you may be interested in bringing tbaMUD's MSSP system up to snuff. It's currently implemented thanks to KaVir's protocol snippet, but there is no real tie in with the server, nor is there anyway to update much of that data.

tbaMUD developer/programmer

More
17 Aug 2012 09:06 #696 by zusuk
Yeah I definitely have interest in interconnection between CircleMUD and CircleMUD derivitives.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is MSSP?

Website
www.luminariMUD.com

Main Game Port

More
18 Aug 2012 04:16 #699 by Vatiken
The I3 intermud chat system as well as IMC2 allow you communicate with other Muds, Mushes, MUXs, and talkers that are connected to the intermud server.

MSSP Documentation

MUD listings are often out dated and lack accurate information. Verifying that the one submitting a new MUD is a member of the MUD's administration can be quite tedious as well.
The MUD Server Status Protocol(MSSP) seeks to address these issues by providing a transparant protocol for MUD crawlers to gather detailed information about a MUD, including dynamic information like boot time and the current amount of online players. It also makes submitting a new mud entry very simple because it only requires a player or admin to fill in the hostname and port.

MSSP allows sites like Mud Stats to have a crawler log on to your MUD and gather data that you willingly submit to it. It uses this data to provide information to potential players, build MUD listings, and display some pretty useful graphs and charts detailing the activity on your MUD, other MUDs in your genre, and MUDs in general.

IMO, a much better use of time then installing IMC2 or i3.

More
19 Aug 2012 10:41 #708 by zusuk
I definitely wouldn't mind checking into it once I've reached Beta, sounds like a really smart feature

Website
www.luminariMUD.com

Main Game Port

More
19 Aug 2012 16:15 #713 by Vatiken
There is a large amount of work done in 3.63 that just needs to be expanded upon, unfortunately I'm only one guy so it doesn't move at a very fast pace.

One other thing you might want to look into is MSDP/ATCP protocols for use in a variety of client features, not the least of which is a customized GUI. I've dabbled with creating custom GUI's in Mudlet to varying degrees of success. Check out the mushclient/mudlet forums to see some screenshots of some possibilities.

[img size=1280x800] www.mudlet.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/GAt1d.png [/img]

Time to create page: 0.264 seconds