Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question Looking for CodeBase

More
20 Feb 2018 11:32 #7607 by agonia
Looking for CodeBase was created by agonia
Hello there, I'm new. After 10 years I decided to create a new MUD. I would like to create a cyberpunk / scifi mud. I started modifying a Smaugfuss codebase by myself...but there is a huge ammount of work converting a Fantasy style in a cyberpunk style. I'm looking for a codebase that contains:
-Tech instead of mana (this is a rename I know...)
-Resistence based on percentage (I already implemented this in my smaugfuss test system..resistence goes from -50% to 50% and each item con contribute to this number)
-Hacker stuff
-Fireweapons

By now I already found AwakeMUD as codebase, but it is too much based on shadowrun and I don't know shadowrun rules. I wonder if there is already something out there that can help me to kickstart the project...else I'll do everything by myself but it will take a long time :)

Thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Feb 2018 16:24 #7610 by Sascha
Replied by Sascha on topic Looking for CodeBase
Welcome! And how exciting, creating a new MUD is a topic near and dear to my heart.

About two years ago I was walking the same path as you, and I'd like to make some suggestions. I reviewed just about every code base out there.

The thing I looked for, first and foremost, was how it felt to me to use it. The mechanics you will use on a daily basis are paramount, because you need to understand and be comfortable with how everything works.

The next thing I looked for was how easy it would be for players to be able to drop in and play, without having a huge mechanics learning curve. I wanted something intuitive and that didn't require a player to read a huge commands manual just to figure out how to talk.

The final thing for me was to determine how actively supported the code base was. You can have a code base that you love, but if no one is supporting it and you have no resources to draw upon, you'll be dead in the water.

I would hazard a guess that everything you want to do is window-dressing to a large degree, in that it would be relatively easy to reskin certain things in code and automate other things via triggers/scripts. You may want to log into the tba site as a builder to try it on for size (if you haven't already).

In my experience of 20 +/- years of mudding, the tbaMUD code base is the most user friendly, versatile, and supported code base out there at this time.

Good luck!

Will you stand against the coming Storm? After the Breaking: STORMRIDERS MUD - atbmud.dune.net port 4000

More
20 Feb 2018 16:58 #7611 by agonia
Replied by agonia on topic Looking for CodeBase
Thank you for your answer :)

I checked TBA, but at least in the tbamud.com:9091 I can see only a great but naked sandbox. I don't know if you can create stats, skills, races and classes directly with the WIZ (I don't think so, or at least not fully working).
Fore sure almost everything needs a resking because it is veeeery basic (well...it is great, but I think that using TBA my work will be multiplied by 5 at least).
Even in "score" command you cannot see strength, dexterity and common stats. Maybe I'm missing something or maybe there are also TBA versions more complete or snippets for everything.

Can someone help me to understand?

More
21 Feb 2018 01:30 #7612 by Parnassus
Replied by Parnassus on topic Looking for CodeBase
I'm surprised that you looked at SmaugFuss but apparently not at SmaugSWR. I've heard that there are problems with the base but it may give you some ideas. Take a look at this forum post:
www.gammon.com.au/forum/bbshowpost.php?bbsubject_id=2557

You may still find you prefer TBA.

More
21 Feb 2018 18:13 - 21 Feb 2018 18:17 #7613 by Fizban
Replied by Fizban on topic Looking for CodeBase

agonia wrote: Thank you for your answer :)

I checked TBA, but at least in the tbamud.com:9091 I can see only a great but naked sandbox. I don't know if you can create stats, skills, races and classes directly with the WIZ (I don't think so, or at least not fully working).
Fore sure almost everything needs a resking because it is veeeery basic (well...it is great, but I think that using TBA my work will be multiplied by 5 at least).
Even in "score" command you cannot see strength, dexterity and common stats. Maybe I'm missing something or maybe there are also TBA versions more complete or snippets for everything.

Can someone help me to understand?

CWG might be closer to what you're looking for.

You indeed cannot create stats, skills, races, classes, etc. from within the MUD on tbaMUD, or on CWG. Those things aren't typically hard to add, but they're still added from within the actual C code.

The general goal for tbaMUD was to only add things that we felt most everyone would want in their MUD as opposed to things people would have to remove before adding the things they did want.

The things you're referencing are the things that can be added to a MUD very easily. That you think adding them multiplies the workload of creating a MUD by 5x is very off-base.

It tends to take 1-2 weeks to create one area if working on it 8 hours a day. That'd be an area of 100 rooms. What I would consider to be a "small" MUD would be something like 3,000-5,000 rooms.

3,000 rooms would likely take one person a minimum of 9 or so months to create. And this would be for a very dedicated person with a lot of free time who spent at least 8 hours a day creating zones.

The code changes you're referencing could be added in an afternoon.

CWG is CircleMUD With Goodies, it has a lot of content already added to it and comes in 4 different varieties, Rasputin, Doom, Suntzu, and Buddha. It might not be the content you want in the end, but it comes with more content for sure. The difference is that if I wanted to make something truly customized, using CWG would take me more time because I'd have to remove all the stuff I didn't want in addition to adding the stuff I did want.
Last edit: 21 Feb 2018 18:17 by Fizban.

More
23 Feb 2018 10:59 #7620 by agonia
Replied by agonia on topic Looking for CodeBase
Thank you all :)
I checked all the suggested options. SFFoTE 2.1.5 is the most similar codebase I'm looking for.
It doesn't compile warning free with GCC 7.2..I simply added -Wno-xxx in Makefile to make warning disappear. I don't know if this is a good practice or just "hide -censored- under the carpet". I tried to modify all the code to have a clean make, but there are too many issues, most of them are related to == '\0' that should be a == NULL or 0 (I'm not sure, I'm not an expert as you can understand) or misleading indentations (why warning :(). To remove misleading indentations I tried CodeLite with clang-format but after CTRL+A CTRL+I the code was unable to compile (???).
The version looks stable...but who really knows.

As for TBA Each time I check it I like it more and more...but I'm scared by all the stuff that I have to create (remote all Fantasy elements, remove all spells, create tech skills, and so on). I'm not confident that I could add everything in an afternoon or even in a month. Just to design a new score interface I wasted about 8 hours because I love maybe too much aesthetic things.
Consider that currently I'm working alone on this project...I have a map of things that i want to create and they are a lot.

I'll take some more time to evaluate all the options but by now SWFotE is 70% and TBA 30%.

Of course I believe you can help me to decide or change completely my idea :)
Thank you again for your time guys..I appreciate it a lot.

Time to create page: 0.232 seconds