Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question Softcoding for tbamud

More
08 Jan 2014 19:11 #4637 by aredcloak19
Is it possible for admin's to do softcode in tbamud? I have been playing around with Pennmush and it has a lot of versatility that you can implement commands without really knowing a lot of programming languages.

I'm the one that people say, "How did you break this and what did you do to break it."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jan 2014 04:59 #4638 by krell
Replied by krell on topic Softcoding for tbamud
dgscript triggers?

Okay, I know it's not exactly what you had in mind and maybe the devs know something I don't. It seems to me though that dgscript provides a lot of similar functionality for tbaMUD that softcoding provides penn/tinymushes. Also, you don't have to know a lot of different programming languages to understand dgscript, though I'm sure it helps, but the same can probably be said for penn/tinymush style softprogramming.

If you know your programming and logic basics you can do a lot with dgscript. Are you looking to give scripting abilty to non-admin PCs or is there some feature of softprogramming that you feel dgscript doesn't provide? What exactly do you need from softprogramming versus dgscript?

More
09 Jan 2014 06:27 #4639 by aredcloak19
Replied by aredcloak19 on topic Softcoding for tbamud
Well I was thinking about doing commands that aren't hardcoded in so that I could customize it that way without having to learn C right off the bat and could making my tbamud a little faster and could probably change it later into hardcode when I learn more about C programming.

I'm the one that people say, "How did you break this and what did you do to break it."

More
11 Jan 2014 04:13 #4646 by krell
I still think you're not seeing the full potential of dgscript.

Overriding existing mud commands.

TSTAT 81
TSTAT 52
TSTAT 62

Replicating existing mud commands.

TSTAT 36

Making new mud commands (a script I've made on my local mud).

Code:
switch %cmd% case smell %send% %actor.name% You breathe deeply through your nose... %echoaround% %actor.name% %actor.name% breathes deeply through %actor.hisher% nose... wait 1 s %send% %actor.name% You smell the odours of burned wood and scorched metal! %echoaround% %actor.name% %actor.name% wrinkles %actor.hisher% nose at the odour %actor.heshe% has discovered. break case listen %send% %actor.name% You strain your ears to listen... %echoaround% %actor.name% %actor.name% perks up %actor.hisher% ears. wait 1 s %send% %actor.name% You realize that the usual sounds of activity are absent! %echoaround% %actor.name% %actor.name% widens %actor.hisher% eyes in apparent realization. break default return 0 break end

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what your intentions are, but dgscript might just provide the utility you need. In any case, softcoding requires a modicum of programming skill as well and, besides being a bit messy to read, at some point the MU* has to be modified in the codebase regardless of your choice of scripting language.

IMHO, HAND

More
13 Jan 2014 21:13 #4650 by aredcloak19
Replied by aredcloak19 on topic Softcoding for tbamud
Yeah, I that actually help Krell. As I'm still learning the dgscript. Also I have another question, can you set it up to be globally for you zone? I didn't know if you could do that or if you have tried that.

More
14 Jan 2014 03:04 #4651 by krell
I don't think you can attach a dgscript trigger to an entire zone aside from attaching the trigger to each room within the zone. Perhaps you might want to submit zone attached triggers as a suggestion to the dgscript devs and why you think it might be useful.

Time to create page: 0.208 seconds