Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question random.n

More
28 Dec 2014 17:08 #5194 by krell
random.n was created by krell
It's been a while since I've done any building and I see that tbaMUD has bumped to a new version since so I don't know if this question is still relevant. Anyhow, I've noticed that in scripts where I try to call on random.n twice with two different values of n both calls are set to the same value. Is this a design flaw of the script or merely a limitation?

Code:
* * Commute Path - Gillian * by Krell * 12 June 2013 * tbaMUD Z163 * set H_VNUM 16328 set LOBBY 16301 * * I've made L_TIME a function of S_TIME as two random.# statements * seem to always choose the same value which suggests that two or * more random.# statements in a script are not independent. I am * probably wrong about this. * * Modify at your own discretion. * set S_TIME %random.3% set L_TIME %S_TIME% + 1 *set OPEN_TIME 8:00 *set CLOSE_TIME 18:00 context %self.id% wait until 8:00 set in_commute_z163 1 global in_commute_z163 stand %teleport% %self% %LOBBY% %echo% %self.name% enters the lobby doors and walks toward the library. wait %L_TIME% s south wait %S_TIME% s %echo% %self.name% walks toward the Service Desk. wait %L_TIME% s sit wait %S_TIME% s %echo% %self.name% opens up some ledgers and turns on %self.hisher% computer. set in_commute_z163 0 global in_commute_z163 wait until 18:00 set in_commute_z163 1 global in_commute_z163 %echo% %self.name% looks through a ledger, signs off %self.hisher% name. wait %L_TIME% s %echo% %self.name% puts some ledgers away. wait %S_TIME% s %echo% %self.name% turns off %self.hisher% computer. wait %S_TIME% s stand wait %S_TIME% s %echo% %self.name% stretches %self.hisher% back. wait %L_TIME% s %echo% %self.name% walks toward the library entrance doors wait %S_TIME% s north wait %L_TIME% s %echo% %self.name% crosses the lobby and leaves the building. global in_commute_z163 %echo% %self.name% looks through a ledger, signs off %self.hisher% name. wait %L_TIME% s %echo% %self.name% puts some ledgers away. wait %S_TIME% s %echo% %self.name% turns off %self.hisher% computer. wait %S_TIME% s stand wait %S_TIME% s %echo% %self.name% stretches %self.hisher% back. wait %L_TIME% s %echo% %self.name% walks toward the library entrance doors wait %S_TIME% s north wait %L_TIME% s %echo% %self.name% crosses the lobby and leaves the building. %teleport% %self% %H_VNUM% * * Variable Checking. Make sure global is where it's supposed to be. * Perhaps superfluous when using wait-until? * if %time.hour% > 8 && %time.hour% < 18 && %in_commute_z163% set in_commute_z163 0 global in_commute_z163 elseif %time.hour% >= 18 || %time.hour% > 0 && %time.hour% <= 8 && !%in_commute_z163% set in_commute_z163 1 global in_commute_z163 end

PS. I may have asked this before, but it may have been on the MUD, I see no logs of the event and I don't see it recorded anywhere here in the forum. So, for posterity...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jul 2015 00:05 #5377 by Parnassus
Replied by Parnassus on topic random.n
Sorry, I don't know how I missed this. Without doing any trials at all, I have to ask:
Is this the dreaded set vs eval thing?

Sorry if this is a silly question. I've found myself a bit confused lately and its one of those things that's been explained and explained to me and I never quite got it right.

More
03 Jul 2015 20:26 #5384 by krell
Replied by krell on topic random.n
No, I don't think so. At least using eval shouldn't make a difference as far as randomizing the values goes and might have a higher penalty to execute compared to set. I don't remember if I attempted it with eval or not though, at the time I didn't see the advantage.

More
04 Jul 2015 17:46 #5391 by Parnassus
This is my set vs eval test:
Code:
set S_TIME %random.3% set L_TIME %S_TIME% + 1 %echo% Set %S_TIME% %echo% Set %L_TIME% eval S_TIME %random.3% eval L_TIME %S_TIME% + 1 %echo% Eval %S_TIME% %echo% Eval %L_TIME% set S_TIME %random.3% eval L_TIME %S_TIME% + 1 %echo% Set %S_TIME% %echo% Eval %L_TIME%

And this is my output:
Set 3
Set 3 + 1
Eval 2
Eval 3
Set 1
Eval 2

This indicates to me (not totally sure) that set or eval works for your S_TIME (although set would be better) but your L_TIME has to be eval.

More
04 Jul 2015 17:57 #5392 by krell
Replied by krell on topic random.n
Perhaps, but this was over half a year ago and I don't remember if I used eval or not. With my local version of tba currently not functional and my internet connection being what it is at the moment I can't even make changes or test anything. :-(

More
04 Jul 2015 18:01 #5394 by Parnassus
Yeah, its funny for me to be thinking about this six months later :) But its good training for me to try anyway.

Time to create page: 0.212 seconds