Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question Moving to Ubuntu

More
27 Sep 2012 17:16 #827 by Rumble
Moving to Ubuntu was created by Rumble
With the next release of Windows 8 being dumbed down into a touchscreen I'm thinking about switching to a Linux desktop. Does anyone have any recommendations besides Ubuntu? It has come a long way since I last installed it. Also what MUD clients do people recommend? I'm going to start with TinTin I think. Any thoughts and advice appreciated.

Rumble
The Builder Academy
tbamud.com 9091
rumble@tbamud.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Sep 2012 17:19 #828 by Rumble
Replied by Rumble on topic Re: Moving to Ubuntu
Ubuntu is in the news lately too, so maybe they aren't the best choice. They are adding Amazon search results to their desktop search to make some money. Go figure, also this thoughtless statement from their CEO: "Don't trust us? Erm, we have root. You do trust us with your data already."

Rumble
The Builder Academy
tbamud.com 9091
rumble@tbamud.com

More
27 Sep 2012 19:52 #829 by thomas
Replied by thomas on topic Re: Moving to Ubuntu
I've run an ubuntu server for a couple of years, and use it for my work laptop. It's stable, quick and powerful.

Ubuntu and/or Amazon most certainly hasn't "root" on my boxes, so that statement is thoughtless indeed. I haven't noticed the amazon search results, but then again I don't use desktop search very often, if at all. I grep instead...

More
27 Sep 2012 21:40 #830 by dracmas
Replied by dracmas on topic Re: Moving to Ubuntu
Check into Linux Mint Debian. I use the XFCE build that isn't resource hungry. Plus it's only one "sudo apt-get install build essentials" for the compiling tools to run tbamud.It's based on debian testing with some goodies added in. Ubuntu takes builds from testing/experimental debian so I'm iffy about using them. With this system it's "rolling release" meaning you never have to upgrade to another version like in ubuntu. A simple "sudo apt-get update" and "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" and you're done upgrading.

More
28 Sep 2012 14:08 #833 by Rumble
Replied by Rumble on topic Re: Moving to Ubuntu
Thanks, debian was my next choice. Dual booted latest Ubunto on my old netbook (only 1 gb RAM) and it is sluggish, not very impressed.

Rumble
The Builder Academy
tbamud.com 9091
rumble@tbamud.com

More
30 Sep 2012 15:30 #839 by dracmas
Replied by dracmas on topic Re: Moving to Ubuntu
LMAO The last time I was on Ubuntu (only had a netbook at the time) I made the mistake of not keeping a backup of a different linux distro just in case I didn't like how Ubuntu turned out with Unity. To my horror, the apt/synaptic packages were broken. I couldn't get the unetbootin program to make another install usb and it wouldn't even install compiling software so I could set up a usb iso program myself. DD ended up being a lifesaver there rewriting my usb install disk back to debian.

Time to create page: 0.215 seconds