Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question setting room flags via triggers

More
07 Feb 2019 14:56 #8305 by rudeboyrave
is there a way to set a room flag on or off using dg?

CyberASSAULT
www.cyberassault.org
cyberassault.org 11111
A post-apocalyptic, sci-fi MUD.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Feb 2019 15:18 #8312 by rudeboyrave
The reason i ask is that if we could get a function to do this i think i can set up roguelike random generated areas using dg. if anyone could help with this it would be great

CyberASSAULT
www.cyberassault.org
cyberassault.org 11111

More
13 Feb 2019 02:25 #8313 by Sascha
Do you mean like changing/adding/removing room flags randomly so you could have INDOOR and then a player moves east and it generates a random room with a random flag, random exits, etc? Kind of creating an open world concept where no two players would have exactly the same map? Or are you envisioning something else?

Will you stand against the coming Storm? After the Breaking: STORMRIDERS MUD - atbmud.dune.net port 4000

More
13 Feb 2019 13:31 #8314 by rudeboyrave
in my implementation when the player is created he will start in a room with a lever.

when he pulls that lever the zone will generate and his dungeon door will open.
the dungeon will consist of 10+ dungeon and hall rooms, a boss door, treasure rooms, trap rooms.
this is where i need to use dg scripts to assign a new room flag i made ROOM_ASSIGNED so that the mud will know that this room is not to be touched until the area is completed by the player, and the flag is removed.

CyberASSAULT
www.cyberassault.org
cyberassault.org 11111

More
14 Feb 2019 00:42 #8315 by Parnassus
I guess the next question then is: untouched by what? If you make the zone no-reset, then the game itself won't touch the zone ever and you'll need to set a trigger to make the zone reset or appear to reset.

My tarot zone sets up a small area just for one player and if you look at the triggers, they do all sorts of weird stuff to try to make sure nobody interferes but also that nobody can 'hog' the set of rooms. There's also a trigger to clear the rooms when no longer needed.

I have a maze zone in progress on the buildport which triggers a layout and resets the zone when a new maze is needed. There's more information on that here . I haven't worked on it lately because it's mostly slog work needed now so I'm not sure what sort of shape it's in.

If you're thinking that you want the player to be able to go in and out of the small section, how about making a 'key' item to allow that player access but nobody else can get in. Tarot has 3 private sections but it seems that you might want, say... 4 or 5 sections depending on how many treasure rooms and so on that you need. If you keep the 'keys' in one room, find obj will show if a key is missing and that section cannot be accessed by any other player. If all 'keys' are gone, nobody else can play the zone until an earlier player finishes and returns it.

I say 'key' because it should not actually BE a key-type but a treasure or trash in key form.

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for but if not, please let me know. Now that my brain is on this, I could probably make another unfinished zone along those lines myself :)

More
14 Feb 2019 13:55 #8316 by rudeboyrave
by untouched i mean that the room itself will not be assigned to another players dungeon should the lever (to generate a dungeon) be pulled for another players run.

CyberASSAULT
www.cyberassault.org
cyberassault.org 11111

Time to create page: 0.228 seconds