Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question MUD in other languages

More
11 Oct 2012 13:30 #875 by steliosm
Hello all.

I'm just curious about what i would take to be able to use the MUD server in other languages.
That will require to have room, object and mob descriptions in another language and also to have the ability to receive commands in the foreign language as well.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Oct 2012 13:39 #876 by Liko
Replied by Liko on topic Re: MUD in other languages

steliosm wrote: Hello all.

I'm just curious about what i would take to be able to use the MUD server in other languages.
That will require to have room, object and mob descriptions in another language and also to have the ability to receive commands in the foreign language as well.

You would have to rewrite everything yourself.

Randian(0.0.0)
Owner/Developer

More
11 Oct 2012 16:55 #878 by steliosm
Replied by steliosm on topic Re: MUD in other languages
You say everything you mean everything starting from the scratch or just changing all the sprinted strings into the new language?

More
11 Oct 2012 19:50 #879 by Liko
Replied by Liko on topic Re: MUD in other languages

steliosm wrote: You say everything you mean everything starting from the scratch or just changing all the sprinted strings into the new language?

I mean every output, every room description, every object description, every mob description, and etc.

Randian(0.0.0)
Owner/Developer

More
11 Oct 2012 19:58 - 11 Oct 2012 20:07 #880 by thomas
Replied by thomas on topic Re: MUD in other languages
Well - duh! Of course you'd have to actually create the world in the language you're planning to use.

However, more importantly, you'd have to make some subtle changes to the codebase if you wish to support a character set larger than ASCII. And in some cases as soon as you pass character 127 (ASCII high bit).

Everything from "load from disk" to "send data to descriptor" is based on ASCII in the current version. So no japanese for you. Or Croatian.
There are some tbamud developers outthere who run spanish and portuguese muds. They've had to deal with some issues in comm.c to handle sending accented characters like â and õ.

Let me check if I can find a link or two.

Edit: No links, but contact Drefs via personal message - he's been running a portuguese mud for some time.
Last edit: 11 Oct 2012 20:07 by thomas.

More
11 Oct 2012 20:13 #881 by steliosm
Replied by steliosm on topic Re: MUD in other languages
@Liko Yes, I meant changes in the codebase core.

@thomas Looks like the file that I will need to start with.

Time to create page: 0.213 seconds