Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question Changing classes

More
14 Nov 2017 23:53 - 14 Nov 2017 23:55 #7090 by Sascha
Changing classes was created by Sascha
With the caveat that I'm fairly certain that the answer to this is staring me in the face, but I've been battling it long enough that I'm going cross-eyed...

I updated from 3.67 to 3.68. When doing so, I changed a class spelling in my mud. However, the old character class still exists on prior characters of the old class, and when making a new character the old character class spelling comes up as the Class: (classname) and the title when you stat or whois. I have to have missed something somewhere, can anyone point me in the direction to look?

The files that I updated when changing the class spelling are:

constants.c
magic.c
shop.c
structs.h
utils.h
shop.h
act.offensive.c
class.c
limits.c

Everything is compiling and running fabulously - it's just this thing making me nuts!

Thanks. :)

Will you stand against the coming Storm? After the Breaking: STORMRIDERS MUD - atbmud.dune.net port 4000
Last edit: 14 Nov 2017 23:55 by Sascha. Reason: Clarification

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Nov 2017 00:31 #7091 by WhiskyTest
Replied by WhiskyTest on topic Changing classes
Should be just in class.c
'const char *pc_class_types[]' and 'const char *class_abbrevs[]'

at character creation it would use 'const char *class_menu'

More
15 Nov 2017 03:26 #7092 by Sascha
Replied by Sascha on topic Changing classes
Totally agree with that, it's the first thing to change in that file, this is what's there:

/* Names first */
const char *class_abbrevs[] = {
"Ch",
"Hu",
"Ro",
"Wa",
"\n"
};

const char *pc_class_types[] = {
"Channeler",
"Hunter",
"Rogue",
"Warrior",
"\n"
};
/* The menu for choosing a class in interpreter.c: */
const char *class_menu =
"\r\n"
"Select a class:\r\n"
" [\t(H\t)]unter\r\n"
" [\t(R\t)]ogue\r\n"
" [\t(W\t)]arrior\r\n"
" [\t(C\t)]hanneler\r\n";

However, the class when you stat or whois is coming up as "Channeller" (the bad old mis-spelling, should be Channeler) and "the female channeller" (where it was changed to remove male or female, and changed to just 'channeler').

I've gone through every file listed in my first post and every one of the old mis-spellings was changed, and the titles were changed. However, even at character creation those old mis-spellings and old titles are automatically filling in.

I feel like I'm missing something fundamental. Any more ideas? (other than banging my head against the wall, which is oddly soothing...)

Will you stand against the coming Storm? After the Breaking: STORMRIDERS MUD - atbmud.dune.net port 4000

More
15 Nov 2017 20:02 #7094 by Sascha
I've now gone through every file in the src directory - even ones that sensibly would have nothing to do with a class change - and I haven't found the culprit yet.

By the way - other than the files listed in my original post, I did find while pouring through all the others that act.wizard.c is another one to update when changing or adding a class. Otherwise, all the other files were based upon Rumble's topic, "Adding Classes", from several years ago.

This is making me nuts. :) I could manually edit every player file to have the correct spelling, but there's no reason for the title to be the old title from 3.67, which was changed for 3.68 - especially for these to happen at new character creation. There has to be a bleed-over somewhere and I'm just not finding it.

More
15 Nov 2017 20:36 #7096 by WhiskyTest
Replied by WhiskyTest on topic Changing classes
And just to confirm - after you've changed all the spelling in the source code, do a clean + build.
I use Netbeans so you might have it called something else - but essentially clean all existing objects and rebuilding from scratch.
I bet that fixes it - $5 ?

More
16 Nov 2017 00:49 #7103 by Sascha
You owe me $5! LOL!

Heck, I even did the superstitious thing and ported over changes to a clean machine and did a clean build. No dice. It's the dumbest thing.

Time to create page: 0.207 seconds