Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question Re: Removing Stock Zones

• Silvaria
  • Topic Author
  • Writer, Builder, Artist, Newbie!Programmer
More
04 Aug 2014 22:24 #4973 by Silvaria
Disclaimer: I have read Rumble's reasoning as to why this is completely avoidable, but I am a creature of neatness and I'd just like to have a blank slate. I also am one for "the hard way", since it potentially has many lessons to be learned.

I thought I did everything as it was described in the directions, but I'm having trouble staying connected once I start the MUD. Whenever I try to make an interaction with the game through my client, I am immediately disconnected. I've been needing to kill bin/circle because I can't interact with it long enough to do a >shutdown die command.

I am just mucking around with this, and I don't have much experience with any piece of code, but I've taken steps to put it back the way it was before I started removing things to see if I could take it apart in smaller chunks before wiping it out completely.

The two errors that pop up most often are:

"mv: cannot stat 'log/syslog.5': No such file or directory"

This one is from the terminal window, usually after I've been disconnected.

The other is:

"SYSERR: Fatal board error: board vnum 0 does not exist!"

I've looked in boards.c and boards.h and I don't see any assignment for a board 0. I returned these files to the way they were before I attempted to remove the zones (since I did have the presence of mind to back them up before changes were made).

Would either of these kick me out of the game? Or is it more likely that the logs aren't showing me what the real problem is?

Began building in July, 2012.

Began learning C in July, 2013.

Downloaded ROM and TBAmud in August, 2013.

Conversion nearly complete.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Aug 2014 18:48 #4974 by thomas
Replied by thomas on topic Re: Removing Stock Zones
OK, here's the deal: if you remove the actual items configured in boards.c, your game will "crash" (that's "exit with non-zero return value") when you log in, due to this piece of code:
Code:
static void init_boards(void) { int i, j, fatal_error = 0; for (i = 0; i < INDEX_SIZE; i++) { msg_storage[i] = 0; msg_storage_taken[i] = 0; } for (i = 0; i < NUM_OF_BOARDS; i++) { if ((BOARD_RNUM(i) = real_object(BOARD_VNUM(i))) == NOTHING) { log("SYSERR: Fatal board error: board vnum %d does not exist!", BOARD_VNUM(i)); fatal_error = 1; } num_of_msgs[i] = 0; for (j = 0; j < MAX_BOARD_MESSAGES; j++) { memset((char *) &(msg_index[i][j]), 0, sizeof(struct board_msginfo)); msg_index[i][j].slot_num = -1; } board_load_board(i); } if (fatal_error) exit(1); }

The default vnums are defined a bit higher up in the file:
Code:
/* Format: vnum, read lvl, write lvl, remove lvl, filename, 0 at end. Be sure * to also change NUM_OF_BOARDS in board.h*/ struct board_info_type board_info[NUM_OF_BOARDS] = { {3099, 0, 0, LVL_GOD, LIB_ETC "board.mortal", 0}, {3098, LVL_IMMORT, LVL_IMMORT, LVL_GRGOD, LIB_ETC "board.immortal", 0}, {3097, LVL_IMMORT, LVL_GRGOD, LVL_IMPL, LIB_ETC "board.freeze", 0}, {3096, 0, 0, LVL_IMMORT, LIB_ETC "board.social", 0}, {1226, 0, 0, LVL_IMPL, LIB_ETC "board.builder", 0}, {1227, 0, 0, LVL_IMPL, LIB_ETC "board.staff", 0}, {1228, 0, 0, LVL_IMPL, LIB_ETC "board.advertising", 0}, };
Alternatives for you: just make 1 board on vnum 0. Make sure to adapt NUM_OF_BOARDS in board.h too.

The other warning is from the syslog copying mechanism in autorun.sh. To silence it:
touch log/syslog.5
The following user(s) said Thank You: Silvaria

• Silvaria
  • Topic Author
More
05 Aug 2014 23:56 #4978 by Silvaria
Replied by Silvaria on topic Re: Removing Stock Zones
Thank you for the reply! I considered creating a board with that vnum, but since it didn't exist before I removed stock areas, and I've essentially replaced everything in order to get it working again, I was unsure.

I've attempted to do as you suggested, and I am still being disconnected. The error is still present. Here is the change I made in boards.c:

Code:
/* Format: vnum, read lvl, write lvl, remove lvl, filename, 0 at end. Be sure * to also change NUM_OF_BOARDS in board.h*/ struct board_info_type board_info[NUM_OF_BOARDS] = { {0, 0, 0, LVL_GOD, LIB_ETC "board.zero", 0}, {3099, 0, 0, LVL_GOD, LIB_ETC "board.mortal", 0}, {3098, LVL_IMMORT, LVL_IMMORT, LVL_GRGOD, LIB_ETC "board.immortal", 0}, {3097, LVL_IMMORT, LVL_GRGOD, LVL_IMPL, LIB_ETC "board.freeze", 0}, {3096, 0, 0, LVL_IMMORT, LIB_ETC "board.social", 0}, {1226, 0, 0, LVL_IMPL, LIB_ETC "board.builder", 0}, {1227, 0, 0, LVL_IMPL, LIB_ETC "board.staff", 0}, {1228, 0, 0, LVL_IMPL, LIB_ETC "board.advertising", 0}, };

...and in boards.h:

Code:
#define NUM_OF_BOARDS 8 /* change if needed! */

Do I need to edit something else, to make the board physically load in the game maybe? Or, just return to the last working backup and try again? lol.

More
06 Aug 2014 00:09 #4979 by Liko
Replied by Liko on topic Re: Removing Stock Zones

Silvaria wrote: Thank you for the reply! I considered creating a board with that vnum, but since it didn't exist before I removed stock areas, and I've essentially replaced everything in order to get it working again, I was unsure.

I've attempted to do as you suggested, and I am still being disconnected. The error is still present. Here is the change I made in boards.c:

Code:
/* Format: vnum, read lvl, write lvl, remove lvl, filename, 0 at end. Be sure * to also change NUM_OF_BOARDS in board.h*/ struct board_info_type board_info[NUM_OF_BOARDS] = { {0, 0, 0, LVL_GOD, LIB_ETC "board.zero", 0}, {3099, 0, 0, LVL_GOD, LIB_ETC "board.mortal", 0}, {3098, LVL_IMMORT, LVL_IMMORT, LVL_GRGOD, LIB_ETC "board.immortal", 0}, {3097, LVL_IMMORT, LVL_GRGOD, LVL_IMPL, LIB_ETC "board.freeze", 0}, {3096, 0, 0, LVL_IMMORT, LIB_ETC "board.social", 0}, {1226, 0, 0, LVL_IMPL, LIB_ETC "board.builder", 0}, {1227, 0, 0, LVL_IMPL, LIB_ETC "board.staff", 0}, {1228, 0, 0, LVL_IMPL, LIB_ETC "board.advertising", 0}, };

...and in boards.h:

Code:
#define NUM_OF_BOARDS 8 /* change if needed! */

Do I need to edit something else, to make the board physically load in the game maybe? Or, just return to the last working backup and try again? lol.

Did you world wiped? When I make boards I tend to make sure the object is created, make sure the right board.test file is made.

Randian(0.0.0)
Owner/Developer

• Silvaria
  • Topic Author
More
06 Aug 2014 01:28 #4981 by Silvaria
Replied by Silvaria on topic Re: Removing Stock Zones
I did wipe the world files, but when I was wiping them, I was only concerned with removing those boards in zone 30 from the code, not adding them. Now that I have this error that prevents me from interacting with the game, I can't add an object to correspond with the coded board.

More
06 Aug 2014 03:48 #4982 by Liko
Replied by Liko on topic Re: Removing Stock Zones

Silvaria wrote: I did wipe the world files, but when I was wiping them, I was only concerned with removing those boards in zone 30 from the code, not adding them. Now that I have this error that prevents me from interacting with the game, I can't add an object to correspond with the coded board.

Why not just remove all the board.c stuff and set num_boards 0 in boards.h?

Randian(0.0.0)
Owner/Developer

Time to create page: 0.211 seconds