Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question Skill wear off messages

More
07 Apr 2021 10:08 - 07 Apr 2021 14:34 #9793 by JTP
Skill wear off messages was created by JTP
So for a skill like meditate, then I would like it to actually tell players that they stopped meditating.

I set an aff type skill_meditate lasting 2 ticks. But when those two ticks are gone. They never know that they no longer meditate.

have anyone made a skill wear off system, and maybe could show how you made it work ?

much appreciated

Also I have this check:
if(affected_by_spell(ch,SKILL_MEDITATE)) {
 send_to_char(ch, "Your mind is already meditating, so rest and relax.\n\r"); 
return;
 }

But all I get is: Nah... You feel too relaxed to do that..

any idea why ?

Last edit: 07 Apr 2021 14:34 by JTP.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Apr 2021 21:02 #9795 by thomas
Replied by thomas on topic Skill wear off messages
I think the meditation-command has the wrong "minimum position" set in the command list. You're seeing this message because you're in POS_RESTING but the lowest level is something like POS_SITTING or POS_STANDING.

About wear_off-messages: they already exist, but for spells. Since skills are a "spell" structure, you could easily expand them with the wear_off_msg:
github.com/tbamud/tbamud/blob/dceb563a9b.../spell_parser.c#L704
Code:
-#define skillo(skill, name) spello(skill, name, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, NULL); +#define skillo(skill, name, wearoff) spello(skill, name, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, wearoff);
A bit lower in the same file:
Code:
-  skillo(SKILL_BACKSTAB, "backstab"); -  skillo(SKILL_BASH, "bash"); -  skillo(SKILL_HIDE, "hide"); -  skillo(SKILL_KICK, "kick"); -  skillo(SKILL_PICK_LOCK, "pick lock"); -  skillo(SKILL_RESCUE, "rescue"); -  skillo(SKILL_SNEAK, "sneak"); -  skillo(SKILL_STEAL, "steal"); -  skillo(SKILL_TRACK, "track"); -  skillo(SKILL_WHIRLWIND, "whirlwind"); -  skillo(SKILL_BANDAGE, "bandage"); -  skillo(SKILL_MEDITATE, "meditate"); +  skillo(SKILL_BACKSTAB, "backstab", NULL); +  skillo(SKILL_BASH, "bash", NULL); +  skillo(SKILL_HIDE, "hide", NULL); +  skillo(SKILL_KICK, "kick", NULL); +  skillo(SKILL_PICK_LOCK, "pick lock", NULL); +  skillo(SKILL_RESCUE, "rescue", NULL); +  skillo(SKILL_SNEAK, "sneak", NULL); +  skillo(SKILL_STEAL, "steal", NULL); +  skillo(SKILL_TRACK, "track", NULL); +  skillo(SKILL_WHIRLWIND, "whirlwind", NULL); +  skillo(SKILL_BANDAGE, "bandage", NULL); +  skillo(SKILL_MEDITATE, "meditate", "You are no longer meditating.");

More
08 Apr 2021 22:07 #9796 by JTP
Replied by JTP on topic Skill wear off messages
In interpreter.c meditate was set to STANDING...if I change to RESTING then I can keep typing meditate in game and it has no idea that it’s already on.

More
09 Apr 2021 21:58 #9798 by thomas
Are you sure you set the affection on the character? Because the check you listed above should work if you do.

More
09 Apr 2021 21:59 #9799 by JTP
Replied by JTP on topic Skill wear off messages
Stat player clearly shows meditate 3 ticks

More
09 Apr 2021 22:01 #9800 by thomas
I'd debug a bit if I were you - add in a couple of log statements to see what's going on, maybe run through gdb if you feel up to it.

Time to create page: 0.310 seconds